I often say in international relations there six things a country can do: ‘giving, helping, sharing, boasting, shouting, and fighting.’ This fits with Joseph Nye’s classic definition of ‘soft power’ coined in 1990 as ‘the...KEEP READING
Boosts to UK Soft Power
At the center of this week's public diplomacy news is the strength of the United Kingdom's soft power in today's globalized world. There were a large amount of stories about the UK's global aid and development as well as updates from China about Prince William's visit.
- UK Passes Bill to Honor Pledge of 0.7% Foreign Aid Target - The Guardian
- Spending More on Foreign Aid Makes Britain Richer, Safer and Morally Better - The Telegraph
- How Prince William Triumphed in the Far East - The Telegraph
- Chinese Media Say Visit by Prince William Holds Out Hope for Improved Relations - South China Morning Post
- BBC Eurovision Selection - Time for Power to the People - Huffington Post
- BBC Plans New North Korea Radio News Service - The Telegraph
- The Power of the Big Screen - Global Times
- The Sun Set on the British Empire, But Jeremy Clarkson’s ‘Top Gear’ is Still a Global Superpower - The Washington Post
Want PD News in your inbox? Sign up for our daily news and weekly digests.
Visit CPD's Online Library
Explore CPD's vast online database featuring the latest books, articles, speeches and information on international organizations dedicated to public diplomacy.