CPD is Knowledge Partner for Edinburgh International Culture Summit '16
CPD is pleased to announce that it will be a knowledge partner at the 2016 Edinburgh International Culture Summit (August 24-26) in Scotland. The summit convenes cultural ministers, artists, academics and policy makers for a global discussion on critical issues in culture. This year’s theme, “Building Resilient Communities,” unpacks the role of culture in shaping and sustaining diverse, inclusive communities. Key thematic topics will explore the protection of cultural heritage, the fiscal and social costs of investing in culture, and the barriers to cultural participation.
As a knowledge partner, CPD will help lead and participate in the thematic discussions on culture and participation. It will share highlights from the summit on its digital channels to expand the conversation on the vital role of cultural diplomacy/culture relations in advancing global peace and security.
The 2016 summit will host more than 60 speakers from countries including Australia, India, Mexico, Nigeria, South Africa, Syria and the United States. Featured speakers include Youssou N’Dour, Grammy-award winning songwriter and former Minister of Culture for Senegal; Maamoun Abdulkarim, Director-General of Antiquities and Museums in Syria; and David Leventhal, Program Director and founding teacher of Mark Morris Dance Group’s 'Dance for PD' program, New York. The Edinburgh International Culture Summit is a collaboration between the Scottish Government, the UK Government, the British Council, the Edinburgh International Festival and the Scottish Parliament, delivered on behalf of the partners by the Edinburgh International Culture Summit Foundation.
More information about the summit and the schedule of events is available here.
You can watch the sessions live at the Scottish Parliament - see schedule below - or follow along on Twitter as we live tweet via #edculturesummit. :
Thursday August, 25 2016
Friday August, 26 2016
Wednesday, August 24, 2016
Opening Ceremony of the 2016 Culture Summit
Thursday, August 25, 2016
Culture and Heritage plenary
- Francesco Bandarin, Assistant Director-General for Culture UNESCO Paris
- Prince Amyn Aga Khan, Aga Khan Development Network, Geneva
- Maamoun Abdulkarim, Director-General Antiquities and Museums in Syria, Damascus
Culture and Economics plenary
- Jude Kelly, Artistic Director, Southbank Centre, London
- Youssou N'Dour, former Minister of Culture for Senegal, Dakar
- Mike Power, Professor of Accounting, London School of Economics
Friday, August 26, 2016
Culture and Participation plenary
- David Leventhal, Programme Director and founding teacher, Mark Morris Dance Group's Dance for PD® programme, New York
- Matthew Peacock, Artistic Director, Streetwise Opera London
- Jay Wang, Director, USC Center on Public Diplomacy
- Rapporteurs' Summaries
- Sir Ciarán Devane, Chief Executive, British Council
- Fergus Linehan, Festival Director and Chief Executive, Edinburgh International Festival
- Ken Mackintosh MSP, Presiding Officer, Scottish Parliament
Visit CPD's Online Library
Explore CPD's vast online database featuring the latest books, articles, speeches and information on international organizations dedicated to public diplomacy.