The role of country images and knowledge of their constitution and effects is of major interest not only for scholars and professionals in the domain of public diplomacy, but also for various adjacent fields such as...KEEP READING
A Gold Medal for Diplomacy
As we close the first week of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, headlines in this PD News roundup unpack the role of sports diplomacy on the global stage. Athletes from North Korea and South Korea snapped a selfie that went viral for “embracing the Olympic goals of building peace and understanding,” while LGBT Olympians are building awareness of LGBT rights by “publicly discussing their sexuality” and spotlighting global issues of discrimination and violence. Other headlines looked at nation-branding, gender equality and social justice.
- Judo As a Sport for Social Justice—Fair Observer
- LGBT History Will Be Made at the Rio Olympics, Starting with the First Same-Sex Married Couple to Compete in the Games—Quartz
- The Mirror at the Olympics—The Hindu
- Olympic Spirit Captured in North and South Korean Selfie—VOA News
- Women at the Olympics: Saudi Arabia’s Image Paradox—CPD Blog
Want PD News in your inbox? Sign up for our daily and weekly digests.
Photo by Jeffrouk | CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
Visit CPD's Online Library
Explore CPD's vast online database featuring the latest books, articles, speeches and information on international organizations dedicated to public diplomacy.