China, the United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, and Russia are now known globally for their economic strength. But what about their cultures? These states are much more than just their GDPs, and increasingly, they are attempting...KEEP READING
Soft Power Showdown
News headlines showcased this week how nations utilize cultural diplomacy and other soft power assets to brand themselves abroad. While we saw some soft power triumphs—music diplomacy between the United States and Iran; film diplomacy from Pakistan; and the celebration of 36 years of diplomatic relations between Colombia and Vietnam—there were also some soft power stumbles, notably in India and in China. Also released this week was a “Soft Power 30” list, which ranks countries’ soft power across six categories: government, culture, education, global engagement, enterprise and digital practices.
- Beijing Feels Pressure from its ‘Soft Power’ Strategy – International Policy Digest
- Colombia-VN Ties ‘In Their Best Moment' – Vietnam News
- Could Pakistan Rival India's Bollywood? – BBC News
- Despite Huge Investment, China Ranks Dead Last in Soft Power – EJ Insight
- Duluth's Lake Superior Chamber Orchestra Set to Bridge Cultures with New Work – Duluth News Tribune
- Music Helps UK Lead The World In Soft Power – Mi2n
- Narendra Modi’s Worrying Push Into India’s Cultural Institutions – Al Jazeera
Photo courtesy of Trey Ratcliff via Flickr Creative Commons.
Want PD News in your inbox? Sign up for our daily and weekly digests.
Visit CPD's Online Library
Explore CPD's vast online database featuring the latest books, articles, speeches and information on international organizations dedicated to public diplomacy.