Introducing the Digital Diplomacy Bibliography Digital social media technologies have become part of people’s everyday life. They also have an impact on diplomatic practice and the way governments engage foreign publics...KEEP READING
What's "In the Works" for Jan Melissen?
Based in the Netherlands, Jan Melissen is an active member of the global diplomatic studies community. From his position as the Director of the Centre for the Study of Diplomacy at the University of Leicester (UK) to his current role as a Senior Research Fellow at the Clingendael Institute of International Relations in The Hague (the Netherlands), Melissen has been involved in research on diplomacy and the training of professional diplomats. He is also a Professor of Diplomacy at the University of Antwerp (Belgium), and teaches at Leiden University. Melissen is also associated with China's Charhar Institute, East Asia’s leading public diplomacy think tank. In 2005, he launched The Hague Journal of Diplomacy (HJD), his passion project with Paul Sharp at Minnesota, Duluth. HJD is the premier peer-reviewed journal on diplomacy and publishes many articles on public diplomacy. He is also series editor of the Diplomatic Studies book series with Brill Nijhoff.
Melissen works with colleagues on various continents, and most of his books are truly collaborative efforts. He is currently conducting research on innovation in diplomatic practice and trends in diplomacy. His @JanMDiplo Twitter feed shares content on future diplomacy, digital diplomacy and public diplomacy. Jan enjoys supervising PhD projects on diplomacy and his former PhD students are now well established authors.
Here is what Melissen currently has "In the Works":
- Understanding Public Diplomacy in East Asia, a book recently published by Palgrave-Macmillan, highlights that understanding public diplomacy requires studying its strategies and practices outside as much as within the western world.
- Melissen is currently conducting research on diplomacy in the digital age. He co-authored the 2015 Clingendael Report Diplomacy in the Digital Age, which was commissioned by the governments of Belgium and Finland. Among his new research based on this foundational project is a paper on digital diplomacy and South Korea’s experience. A research article on digital diplomacy and the security of nationals abroad is expected to be published in Global Affairs, a new European policy journal.
- Melissen has contributed chapters to an Oxford University Press textbook edited by Pauline Kerr and Geoffrey Wiseman, Globalizing Diplomacy, which has been translated into Chinese and will soon publish a revised edition.
- Melissen's chapter on public diplomacy in The Oxford Handbook of Diplomacy, was recently published in paperback.
- Together with a graduate student, Melissen co-authored an article on EU diplomacy and the role of the European External Action Service, which is under review with a European studies journal.
- The Hague Journal of Diplomacy, edited by Melissen, is now preparing a number of special issues, including research on Canada’s “other diplomacies,” the politics of multilateral diplomacy at the UN, European diplomatic cooperation outside the EU, and an issue on diplomacy and “the duty of care." Upcoming regular HJD issues in 2016-18 will feature contributions on public diplomacy breaking new ground.
- Recent and forthcoming books in Melissen's Diplomatic Studies book series with Brill Nijhoff are: Davor Jancic and Stelios Stavridis (Eds), Parliamentary Diplomacy in European and Global Governance (2016) and Steffen Bay Rasmussen, The Ideas and Practices of the European Union’s Structural Anti-Diplomacy (2017).
About this series:
"In the Works" is CPD's periodic roundup of news from the international PD scholarly community. If you've taken up a new academic position, published a new work or recently embarked on a research project on a public diplomacy topic, let us know! All updates can be sent to [email protected]. Please be sure to use "In the Works" in the subject heading.