Japan's Soft Power: Prospects and Challenges in a New Era
Japan has been perennially ranked as one of the strongest soft-power nations in the world. On Friday, February 28, CPD will convene a conference to examine Japan on the global stage with a focus on culture as a driver of a nation’s soft power. This conference will bring together leading scholars, practitioners, innovators, artists and cultural thought leaders to explore Japanese culture and its global influence. We will discuss how aspects of culture, sports, innovation and technology are key drivers of soft power.
SCHEDULE (subject to change)
Introduction and Welcome, Jay Wang, Director, USC Center on Public Diplomacy
Welcome remarks, Barry Sanders, CPD Advisory Board Chair
Global Attitudes and the Image of Japan, Jacob Poushter, Associate Director, Global Attitudes Research, Pew Research Center
“On Beauty”, Gil Garcetti, photographer; former District Attorney for Los Angeles County
Panel #1 | A Cultural Japan
- Yuko Kaifu, President, Japan House Los Angeles
- David McConnell, Professor, Sociology and Anthropology East Asian Studies, College of Wooster
- Jay Wang, Director, USC Center on Public Diplomacy (moderator)
- Yasushi Watanabe, Professor, Environment and Information Studies, Keio University
Panel #2 | Tokyo Olympics and Soft Power
- Susan Brownell, Professor, Anthropology, University of Missouri
- Paul Droubie, Assistant Professor, History, Manhattan College
- Dylan Hernandez, Sports Columnist, Los Angeles Times
- Ben Carrington, University of Southern California (moderator)
Panel #3 | High-Tech Japan: The Future of Innovation Towards Social Good
- Jay Jain, Senior Director, Strategic Execution, NEC Corporation America
- Takanori Shibata, Chief Senior Research Scientist, AIST Japan
- Patricia Riley, Director, Annenberg Global Communication program and Associate Professor, USC Annenberg (moderator)
Refreshments will be served.
On-campus parking is available for $14 per car. Click here for parking structure locations.
Visit CPD's Online Library
Explore CPD's vast online database featuring the latest books, articles, speeches and information on international organizations dedicated to public diplomacy.