According to the Online Index of Objects Launched into Outer Space maintained by the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), there are about 4,612 satellites currently orbiting the planet, although only one-...KEEP READING
CPD Content on Countering Violent Extremism
In the wake of the recent attacks in Paris and Beirut, Middle East expert, Phil Seib, provides insights on the growing need to integrate Muslim youth in counterterrorist messaging, the benefits of shifting actors involved in the fight against ISIS, and how effective messaging must coincide with actual policy changes. You can read more on this by clicking on the CPD Blogs listed below:
- When Will it End?
- Counterterrorism and Human Rights
- Counterterrorism Messaging Needs To Move From State to CIA
- New Appraisals of Violent Extremism
CPD Research Fellow, Ali Fisher is currently examining jihadist media strategy using the military concept of Netwar and assessing whether Jihadist strategy has extended beyond Netwar to embrace the potential of collective and emergent behaviors within complex information systems. His CPD research project is titled, "Netwar in Cyberia: Decoding the Media Mujahedeen and the Jihadist Swarmcast".
Fisher has previously written on similar topics. Click here to read his piece on the need for public diplomacy to counter ISIS' fully integrated multi-platform social media zeitgeist.
A number of CPD Blog Contributors have also written about the issue of violent extremism, inviting readers to look at this issue from alternative angles:
- Click to Care: Social Media and the Paris and Beirut Attacks by Yukari Easton
- Challenging the Pakistani Taliban Through Culture by Cynthia P. Schneider
- Collateral Torture: The Families of “War on Terror” Detainees by Lauren L. White